Tuesday’s Top Ten: Songs I Forgot I Had
I had a busy weekend. Twelve hundred four (1204) songs imported. I have some additional classical albums and soundtracks to go, just in case Amazon decides to remove them at some point. And then there’s the flash drive with all the songs we downloaded from Napster…think Amazon will allow that?
While I was downloading songs, I browsed through the titles, like, “Is this mine? Or Lemur’s?” LaBouche: his. Guns and Roses: mine. Marilyn Manson: his. The Ready Set: mine, all mine.
Along the way, I had pleasant surprises of “Ooh, I love that song!” and, “I forgot we had this!” Here are the top ten songs I forgot I owned on CD:
10. “The Highwayman.” Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson. Need I say more? Four legends. FOUR.
9. “The Real Slim Shady,” Eminem. Still remember all the words. “You’re kidding…she didn’t just say what I think she did, did she?” Yes, I am an Eminem fan. Well, was. Some of his songs are too homophobic for me. I don’t like Michael Jackson, but he’s dead now. Songs about their feud just aren’t funny any more. This song, still funny.
8. “Blue (Da Ba Dee),” by Eiffel 65. This song reminds me of swinging on the Gazelle. Remember these things? Many, many hours working out to Eiffel 65.
7. “Californication,” Red Hot Chili Peppers. When musicians reference Star Wars in their lyrics, I’m sold. This song is the perfect backdrop for editing Breaking All the Rules, my Hollywood agent novel.
6. “Erase Rewind” by the Cardigans. You might remember them for their other movie soundtrack. This song is from The Thirteenth Floor. The other was, “Love Fool” from Romeo and Juliet. I had forgotten completely about the band and this CD, but I still love it.
5. “Young Forever,” The Ready Set. This song was on constant repeat while I wrote the Farbonnir series. Then, I got a new computer that didn’t have a CD drive. Cute, cute young man, how I’ve missed you.
4. “Wonderful,” Everclear. “Isn’t everything wonderful now.” I was sold at “Star Wars poster on my bedroom door.” I own two Everclear albums, and this is the only song I remember. I still love it.
3. “Terrible Lie,” Nine Inch Nails. Pretty Hate Machine is still one of my favorite albums. I just can’t listen to it every day. Hence, forgetting I had it.
2. “Woke Up This Morning,” A3. The Sopranos soundtrack isn’t the greatest, but this iconic song still makes my heart race when I hear it. I can see the Jersey roadways passing by as Tony drives to work.
1. “California Love,” 2Pac. We have this on a SINGLE. Lemur attempted to buy the 2Pac album, but bought the censored version, which we both agreed was not worth the plastic. He took it back and never replaced it, but we will always, always have “California Love.”
You know your collection is too big when you forget what you have.